Our members went to the UEL away match to Fiorentina on February 26th and during the visit took the time to visit the Bologna Lesbian and Gay Centre, where they met members of Bugs Bologna, the LGBT football team.
We were put in contact with Bugs by FARE, an umbrella organisation that brings together individuals, informal groups and organisations driven to combat inequality in football. The two groups exchanged experiences, momentos and shared good practice and advice. We were graciously hosted by Davide Palitta and Paolo Zagatti, the President of the club – seen below with Darryl.
In addition we were also introduced to members of the BogaSport A.S.D. , a multi-discipline LGBT sport society . Both groups are part of the Arcigay “Viva il Calcio” (long live football) initiative organised by Arcigay, the national LGBT organisation.
The meeting took place on the exact anniversary of the launch of the Proud Lilywhites and came at the end of the Football v Homophobia Month of Action.
The Proud Lilywhites and FARE are delighted to announce a question and answer session on diversity in football during the FARE Football Weeks of Action (Oct 9-23).
The event will take place at White Hart Lane on Oct 21st at 7.30pm and will be chaired by Paul Macey from the Words of Colour collective. As a former Sports Correspondent with The Voice and as equalities trainer with Crystal Palace FC, he is versed with working on these issues in the football world.
The panel will include:
- Troy Townsend – Education and Development Manager, Kick it Out
- Jo Tongue, Board member, Women in Football
- Claudia Krobitzsch – Programmes Co-ordinator, FARE
- Darryl Telles – Co-chair, Proud Lilywhites.
We want your questions on:
- How do we create an inclusive atmosphere both on and off the pitch?
- What can the various campaigns against racism, sexism and homophobia learn from each other?
- What steps are necessary that we all need to take collaboratively and/or individually to challenge discrimination in the game?
On the night we will also be holding a prize draw, where you can win a VIP tour of the stadium, an UEFA press kit from the Partizan game and the Rainbow Laces as worn by Erik Lamela!
All you have to do is buy a raffle ticket on the night at the event.
To reserve your FREE place, click here to register.